Turbodustbin

What's in your shed chaps? Long-term ongoing projects here please...
TurboDustbin

Turbodustbin

Postby TurboDustbin » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:29 pm

Thought I'd start a project thread for my old '87 T16s after 11 years of ownership.

Basic spec is:

212k miles!

Trionic conversion
Hybrid TE05 turbo
Bilstein B6 dampers and Kilen springs
Abbott exhaust
Pimp red velour interior

Lots of little jobs that need doing; a few interior bulbs and stuff, misfire under boost, reluctant sunroof motor, maybe topping-up the dye on the carpets and seats and a million squeaks and rattles in the cabin to investigate! I've got a nice double garage now, so actually have somewhere to work on the car, which is nice.

Planned mods are mostly cosmetic. Namely a red dash, new door card inserts (I've got quilted red velvet to go on these!) and maybe a black or burgundy alcantara headlining. Get the alloys refurbished (again) and a neater stereo install.

Hope you all like it.

mossypossy

Re: Turbodustbin

Postby mossypossy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:03 pm

misfire under boost

Stick a nice new Bosch coil on

Did it for me

OOps just spotted trionic :oops:
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way and the only way, it does not exist" - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche.

B202NUT

Postby B202NUT » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:57 pm

I am politically incorrect, that's true. Political correctness to me is just intellectual terrorism. I find that really scary, and I won't be intimidated into changing my mind. Everyone isn't going to love you all the time..

old saaber

Postby old saaber » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:15 am

TurboDustbin

Postby TurboDustbin » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:11 am

Alas, no, but as it only happens on high-boost I've just driven around the problem. I've replaced the FMIC and associated pipework with stock items and replaced the DV with a known good one. Only other thing I can think of is the sensor on the pipe running from the interccoler outlet that's glued, rather than screwed, in place. Or the DI cassette.

It's off to a classic-friendly garage on Saturday morning for its MOT, so fingers crossed for that. Adjusted the handbrake and replaced the reversing bulbs and can't really see anything else it might fail on. I think it had worn ARB bushes advised on the last one, so I might just remove the whole thing and see how it feels. Will give it an oil and plug change for good measure, too.

Have managed to do a load of little jobs to tidy-up the inside and outside too, so that's quite satisfying. Had to re-dye a few bits of carpet and clean a few switches that were full of sand and had stopped working. Dismantled the rear light clusters, cleaned them out and gave them a polish. Replaced all the half-turn fasteners that hold various bits of trim in place in the hope of curing a few rattles. Painted the rusty windscreen wipers and scruffy boot lip and went round the car with some 'back to black' stuff on the trim. Tidied-up the stereo wiring in the back as the wires hanging around in the boot were doing my head in; am running an amp to power the rear 4" speakers and will get an active sub plonked under the seat, so it should look stock but sound much better.

Have also started painting the spare dashboard and trim with some burgundy vinyl paint. Seems a good colour match so far, but really not sure I can be arsed to remove and refit the dash at the moment. I do have a spare instrument cluster to go in to replace mine that reads the wrong speed and has flakey lighting, so guess I could kill two birds with one stone.

Oh, and I also bought this for £80...Image

1987 8v carb with a 4-speed gearbox

peva

Postby peva » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:46 pm

It's really good to be here and as I always say, it's really good to be anywhere! KR

TurboDustbin

Postby TurboDustbin » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:01 pm

Found it, unloved, on Ebay.

Wasn't a runner but it is now and is an absolute hoot to punt around! Need to get an MOT booked and polish it up a bit.

Have called him 'Nigel'.

old saaber

Postby old saaber » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Guess that is about a D-reg?

Unusual to see one with side-repeaters and a front handbrake.

So all the intake pipes were done on the black one. It won't be the intake temp sensor as that only trims maps and wouldn't know the difference between high or low revs or whatever.

The easiest way to begin to work out why it's misfiring is to go for a logged drive. May be adjustment or type of crank sensor fitted. The reasoning being that it works ok until it gets to higher engine speeds and then isn't able to register engine speed so causes the ECU to lose the plot. I'd imagine you'd be able to see that on the log. Other thing could be a poor map on the ECU. Was a different ECU fitted at any point or is it still the half-mapped one from a couple of years ago?

TurboDustbin

Postby TurboDustbin » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:12 am

It's an E-reg and I think it's a bit younger than the black car, actually.

Wasn't concerned about the functioning of the intake temp sensor on the T16s, more that it's not fitted securely and might be letting air past under high boost.

ECU is a Jamsaab map and I'm sure it worked ok for a bit, albeit not as quick as it was originally.

old saaber

Postby old saaber » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Oh yeah, I remember now.

Unless something major has changed I'd say it's pretty unlikely air will be leaking past the intake temp sensor. Other thing to bear in mind is at idle speed and decceleration there is as much vaccum as there would be boost which would have an effect.

I think most likely it's the crank sensor, all things considered.

Your saloon has old-style wheels on it. So must be a front handbrake model.

TurboDustbin

Postby TurboDustbin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:33 pm

Righto. Car passed MOT with no advisories, so that's nice.

Saw some adapters for fitting the later seats, so might get some from a 9000 Aero, dye them burgundy and plonk them in.
Thought about it before, but was always put-off by the fact that it would need welding to make them fit.

old saaber

Postby old saaber » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Have you had any thoughts in the direction of changing the bumper stripes back to chrome? Halfords sell the strips. Takes only a few minutes.

s900t8v

Postby s900t8v » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:36 am

Misfire under boost?

Have you got bcpr7es plugs gapped at stock.

More likely to be a cassette if you ask me.

old saaber

Postby old saaber » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:52 am

Not on this car. I'd be willing to put money on it being a problem in the area of the crank sensor. We've fitted 2 or 3 different crank sensors over the last 3 or 4 years and it is entirely possible the current crank sensor isn't properly spaced with the flywheel or that the sensor itself isn't in good shape and of highest quality. As we all know, a new genuine t5 crank sensor isn't cheap. Along similar lines it may be that the flywheel pattern has been effected by having the flywheel drilled to accept the larger clutch pressure plate. At lower engine speeds the problem isn't evident but during transition from low speed to high speed when the engine is quickly changing speed and moving to higher rpms a lack of crankshaft signal could eaisly cause the ECU to stop firing sparks.

When I had my flywheel done for the convertible project I decided to pay a little extra and have the bottoms of the holes for the clutch welded so the pattern wouldn't be interrupted. Means I had to use shorter bolts to hold the clutch pressure plate down, but I don't think that will be a problem! :|

You can see where the holes were filled in.

s900t8v

Postby s900t8v » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:39 pm

To not consider the ignition cassette as a possibility because you have a hunch is ridiculous. Doesn't turbo say its on full boost only. That sounds a lot like bad coils in the cassette.

I am using a 20 dollar Chinese crank sensor. With the trigger mounted to the pulley by interference fit of the ac pulley and self centred. Car runs great.

To say you need the highest quality sensor is wrong. It needs to be aligned. In range and properly shielded that's it.

old saaber

Postby old saaber » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:54 pm

If I didn't know the car I'd probably agree with you and wouldn't even question it.

It's quick and cheap to try the DI cassette first so may as well. As long as it's just a known-good cassette and not a new one.

TurboDustbin

Postby TurboDustbin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:46 am

I've not had a chance to swap the DI over from the 9000 yet, but will probably do so tonight. I've got new plugs to go in too, but can't find my gapper, so those will have to wait.

Had to fork-out for a new battery as the old one suddenly gave up the ghost on Saturday.

Oh, and one of the engine mounts (UK driver's side) has a load of goo coming out of it and the car has started shaking when cranking. I'm assuming it's going to be a pain in the arse to replace.....

Also have an intermittantly noisy tappet when the engine is cold. Might run some engine flush through it, but that'll have to wait too, as I've only just changed the oil.

All good fun.

peva

Postby peva » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:04 am

The RHS driver's mount is the easiest to replace. It's the LHS that is a pain in the arse. Let the tappet rattle. It will do no harm and may get better.
It's really good to be here and as I always say, it's really good to be anywhere! KR

B202NUT

Postby B202NUT » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:37 pm

I am politically incorrect, that's true. Political correctness to me is just intellectual terrorism. I find that really scary, and I won't be intimidated into changing my mind. Everyone isn't going to love you all the time..

peva

Postby peva » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:53 pm

Return to “Project place”