T 5 ing a t16s

Boost junkies, beard scratchers, pimping the ride and ideas discussion...
silver saab surfer

Re: T 5 ing a t16s

Postby silver saab surfer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Air filter done , just got to finish the wires & see if he will fire ...

cram it up your'e cram hole ..

silver saab surfer

Postby silver saab surfer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:46 pm

peva

Postby peva » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:07 am

But will it stay that clean? Bet not. StNick
It's really good to be here and as I always say, it's really good to be anywhere! KR

silver saab surfer

Postby silver saab surfer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:54 pm

silver saab surfer

Postby silver saab surfer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:00 pm

T5 prob , as my car is 1993 some of the fitting guide is wrong so we wired the a.b.s.pump relay up thinking that it was the fuel pump relay , sits next to the main relay & is marked pump doh . Cant find the fuel pump relay on my late car so where is it guys ?....

old saaber

Postby old saaber » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Sorry for the late reply.

I seem to remember the ABS relays are in a box in the engine bay.

I also seem to remember one of the relays is marked as 'main relay' - but it is the main relay for the ABS circuit and nothing to do with the ECU.

I'm only guessing because I can't specifically recall that the 1993 model has the relays in a different position from the other cars.

My guess is that it IS in the same place as all the others. Above the ECU. But it is inside the car next to the accelerator pedal behind the carpet.

silver saab surfer

Postby silver saab surfer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:25 pm

silver saab surfer

Postby silver saab surfer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:43 pm

Ok, as i am now running T5 i must say that with all the other work done to the car i have spent a very enjoyable tho some times stressful 14.5 days working on him & i still have the finishing up to do.The thing i have not yet got my head round is the self mapping so i have had Karl (noobtune) flash on a stage 1 map of his on to the e.c.u. Now i know his maps are good but i only have 0.5 bar boost & i should have 1 bar ish , so what say you ? . I am thinking base boost as the new engine / turbo were bought untested so i do not know if the base boost has been played with in the past but i do know that trionic likes the base boost to be std . b202 with std mitsi turbo run by 1998 9000 e.c.u. mapped by Karl who also did the T7 valve mod for me .. or have i a bad valve ?. Plus when i am done & dusted with this project would it be ok to add the differences between the later car & the earlier that the guide was made for ?..

silver saab surfer

Postby silver saab surfer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:41 pm

The Rock ..now T5ed..]

old saaber

Postby old saaber » Mon May 01, 2017 9:29 am

The best way to work with the ECU is to get the live logging enabled so you can record data while driving.

But specifically your question about boost, I can help with some basic questions.

To have the T7 valve installed you must do:

1. Modifications to the ECU board
2. Install the T7 valve to the car
3. Modify the ECU program

To check if it is working you run the car at idle speed. Then go to the throttle side of the engine and put your ear close to the valve. Slowly increase engine speed by cranking the throttle open and then let it spin down again. As you rev the engine you should hear the valve clicking.

The t7 valve is the same style as the original valve that the 900 was designed with. It uses a ball and flips it back and forth inside the valve to control the air flowing to the wastegate actuator. When it is working you can hear the ball clicking inside the valve.

That's the first thing I'd check.

silver saab surfer

Postby silver saab surfer » Mon May 01, 2017 8:40 pm

silver saab surfer

Postby silver saab surfer » Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 pm

old saaber

Postby old saaber » Wed May 03, 2017 7:06 am

Could you hear the valve rattle when you rev it?

If you can hear the valve rattle then the problem may be a problem with the speed signal. Without a good speed signal it won't boost.

If you recheck these things and find no problem then the next thing to try would be to put my map on it. I developed a good map which gives some very tasty performance and works well.

silver saab surfer

Postby silver saab surfer » Wed May 03, 2017 10:27 pm

silver saab surfer

Postby silver saab surfer » Thu May 04, 2017 8:37 pm

Ok i wired up the valve correctly this morning (must have done something wrong to begin with) & now i have BOOST well too much boost really ,it's like being on the Enterprise at warp stole it ..First time it hit 1.5 bar the a cut came in i am guessing fuel & it's good that it did or the engine could have fried ..So now i have to look into my over boost problem . I am driving it with care ...Oh & i did bypass the original fuel cut when it was running a m.b.c.

old saaber

Postby old saaber » Thu May 04, 2017 10:30 pm

T5 has a software cut. It is turned off in my map.

My map is awesome, it allows full boost but also restricts in first and second gear. In the first two gears you can be fairly reckless without fear of breaking traction in any substantial way. 0.8 bar. Then in 3rd, 4th and 5th it goes to 1.5 bar.

There is some programming you have to do to make the speed signal read well on the 900. I don't know if your tune has any work done in that respect.

My attitude with boost control is that you want it mostly done with your foot. Less accelerator will give less boost. T5 wouldn't let you run lean so that's no problem. You have to make substantial changes to the fuel map or air delivery (i.e. mahoosive turbo) if you want to out-fox T5. With a fairly standard turbo it won't have any trouble.

silver saab surfer

Postby silver saab surfer » Sat May 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Throwing up a number of problems that i am sorting as they come .Today's strange one was getting boost (yeah) but a lot of oil coming up the dipstick tube. I have checked out the vent system & all seems good apart from the cam cover 1 way valve (replaced). I have bodged up a quick catch tank for the oil , any thought's guy's ?...

silver saab surfer

Postby silver saab surfer » Sat May 06, 2017 8:32 pm

E.C.U. heat shield..

peva

Postby peva » Sun May 07, 2017 9:46 am

It's really good to be here and as I always say, it's really good to be anywhere! KR

old saaber

Postby old saaber » Sun May 07, 2017 12:59 pm

I dunno about that really peves. I've seen lots of engines over the years that respond weirdly when you take off the oil filler cap but work perfectly fine when in use.

Was the engine rebuilt? That could result in excessive crankcase pressure, blow-by and all those sorts of nasties if it hasn't been a good rebuild.

Compression test and leak down test are the definitive answer. A compression test is quick and easy, if it passes that but you're still worried then a leak down test can be done to see where and how it is leaking and how much leaking is happening.

Return to “Horsepower!”