Splitting C900 block and gearbox

Want some help? Workshop discussion forum
Nelliem

Splitting C900 block and gearbox

Postby Nelliem » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:52 pm

I have to remove my 1st C900 engine next weekend and separate it from the gearbox.
Any pointers? I'm a little worried about removing the clutch etc - I don't have the correct tool, is there another way around this. I don't know if the hydraulics on the car (clutch) work, again - is this going to be a problem?
TIA
Mark

peva

Re: Splitting C900 block and gearbox

Postby peva » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 pm

It's no big deal and no special tools are needed. Just the normal workshop spanners, wrenches and tools. It is possible to remove clutch slave without breaking the hydraulic circuit. When unbolted, just lift it to one side. Plenty of walkthroughs on the net if you do a search. I think Saabcentral have a good one in the stickie FAQ.
Here's one I found; http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... pics/64956
PS I see that's one of your's Emmett.
It's really good to be here and as I always say, it's really good to be anywhere! KR

Nelliem

Postby Nelliem » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Thanks Peva - unfortunately it didn't cover splitting the engine from the gearbox which is the bit I might have trouble with.
Why do people describe the sides of a car as right and left? When you are in it? Looking at at? from the front? Or the back? Nearside and offside are much better, even drivers and passenger is better as it can't be mistaken :D

peva

Postby peva » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:01 am

The convention is to describe the car from the drivers seat. So the drivers seat is on the right hand side. And in the UK you drive on the left hand side of the road as viewed from the drivers seat. Calling it as the drivers or passenger side can be misleading and will vary from country to country, difficult if you are havinrg an international conversation. Splitting the engine gearbox involves no special knowledge. Just undo the bolts and it comes apart.
It's really good to be here and as I always say, it's really good to be anywhere! KR

Nelliem

Postby Nelliem » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:29 am

Maybe - I've had it described both ways many times, generally I would establish where the person/car is from first as there are quite a few other international differences too :)
Anyway - it was info regarding removing the clutch without the 'special tool' I was after as mentioned initially but it looks like I've got that elsewhere.

Return to “Fixing and repairing”